Subject: Re: how should I make kernels to have it work under build.sh
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/16/2005 17:48:35
--------------enigB877980F02FF49A25BF8A67B

George Michaelson wrote:

>I still make my kernel by hand, in the live code tree.
>
>I would like to make my kernels in the build process, preferably in the
>OBJ tree.
>
>is this doable/sensible?
>
>right now, I do:
>
>$ cat ~/bin/makeBSD
>#!/bin/sh
>
>cd /usr/src
>nice ./build.sh -u -x -M /data/Build/obj -T /data/Build/tools build \
>        > /var/tmp/build.log 2>&1 & tail -f /var/tmp/build.log
>$
>
>where /usr/src is a RO mount of the src hierarchy
>(from /data/NetBSD/src, which is where I make kernels by hand)
>
> -G

To make kernels using build.sh the way you use it (which is almost
exactly the way I do), you can:

./build.sh -u -M /data/Build/obj -T /data/Build/tools kernel=GENERIC

...if you haven't already built tools, you'll need to run:

./build.sh -u -M /data/Build/obj -T /data/Build/tools tools

first.

(Of course, leave the "-u" off to rebuild all objects, instead of just
out-of-date ones, and substitute the name of your kernel config for GENERIC)

+j