Subject: Re: Java (especially JDK) and running Tomcat on NetBSD
To: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/16/2005 14:12:03
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:03:20 +0100
Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net> wrote:

> hi,
>
> has anybody installed Java in order to run some Tomcat/Apache stuff on
> NetBSD?
>
> to make it simple, i already chose i386 for this, but after installing
>
> sun-jre14-2.9       Sun's Java(tm) 2 Runtime Environment 1.4.2
> sun-jdk14-2.9       Sun's Java(tm) 2 SDK, Standard Edition 1.4.2
> jakarta-tomcat5-5.0.30nb1 The Apache Project's Java Servlet 2.4 and JSP
> 2.0 server
>
> (besides other packages, of course) i'm not able to start tomcat:
>
> deneb# /etc/rc.d/tomcat5 start
> Starting tomcat.
> The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined
> This environment variable is needed to run this program
>
> the weird thing is that although the Java SDK (JDK) is installed i'm not
> able to find something that looks like this on the machine...?
>
> any help greatly appreciated -- thanks in advance,
>
> timo

I installed it just a few days ago. Seems to work fine. I copied the sample
rc.d startup file which came with the tomcat package, and added the line:

ulimit -d 262144

after the "TOMCAT_LIB=/usr/pkg/tomcat" line.

I set JAVA_HOME in /etc/profile to make it more generally accessible.
I'm using sun-1.5 java though, not 1.4.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing