Subject: Re: Using secondary IDE on ASUS P5GD1-VM motherboard
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/12/2005 13:51:11
Gr=E9gory THIELL wrote:
> piixide0 at pci0 dev 31 function 1
> piixide0: Intel 82801FB IDE Controller (ICH6) (rev. 0x03)
> piixide0: bus-master DMA support present
> piixide0: primary channel configured to compatibility mode
> piixide0: primary channel interrupting at ioapic0 pin 14 (irq 14)
> atabus0 at piixide0 channel 0
> piixide0: secondary channel configured to compatibility mode
> piixide0: secondary channel ignored (disabled)

I don't know the solution, but I think the problem begins here.  You've
got only one atabus, off of which hang wd0 and wd1.  There's no secondary
channel, no second bus, and no wd[23].

For comparison's sake, here's mine:

pcib0: VIA Technologies VT8235 (Apollo KT400) PCI-ISA Bridge (rev. 0x00)
viaide0 at pci0 dev 17 function 1
viaide0: VIA Technologies VT8235 ATA133 controller
viaide0: bus-master DMA support present
viaide0: primary channel configured to compatibility mode
viaide0: primary channel interrupting at irq 14
atabus0 at viaide0 channel 0
viaide0: secondary channel configured to compatibility mode
viaide0: secondary channel interrupting at irq 15
atabus1 at viaide0 channel 1

I know I'm not forced to make a guess, but if I were, I'd guess that the
probe notices that the device is disabled in the BIOS and repects that.  I
think you'll have to configure your kernel to hard-wire the device
(instead of probing for it).  Mind, I haven't written any kernel code;
someone else would be able to be more definitive. =20

HTH. =20

--jkl