Subject: lpd errors
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/06/2005 16:43:36
I'm wondering if I'm missing a magic switch.

The lpd(8) man page logs successful print jobs with '-l' and offers '-d'
to set SO_DEBUG, the ramifications of which are supposed to made clear on
setsockopt(2), where the explanation is "enables recording of debugging
information".

What I'd like to do is set the switch that logs rejected print requests
with the reason e.g.:

	Nov  6 16:20:28 oak lpd[3036]: \
	monarch.schemamania.org rejected recvjob lp: \
	Host name for address (192.168.1.9) unknown

(A similar message is sent to the connecting client, but in my case at
least (using a Darwin client) that message never shows up anywhere.  To
see it, I had to use telnet after first defeating source-port checking.)

The problem was I had added the host to the zone file, but not to the
reverse-lookup 192.168.1 zone.

Is there some way I could have gotten lpd to tell me that?

--jkl