Subject: Re: Using floppy disk on i386
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Shigeki UNO <shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/03/2005 06:03:47
"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:

| David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> writes:
| > On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 03:57:18PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
| >>
| >> The disktab in /etc/ by default doesn't seem to have floppy3 in it any
| >> more.
| >>
| >> I'd just do the disk labeling by hand for now.
| >
| > Why would you want to add a label to a floppy?
|
| You don't really need to, but as long as he wanted to do it...

 To make a long story short, you mean _I don't need to do disklabel floppy_
before formatting it phisically? Therefore,

 % sudo fdformat -f /dev/rfd0a
Ready to format /dev/rfd0a with 80 cylinders, 2 tracks, 18 sectors of 512 bytes
(1440 KB) Yes/no [y]?
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
VV
% sudo newfs -T floppy /dev/rfd0a
/dev/rfd0a: 1.4MB (2880 sectors) block size 4096, fragment size 512
        using 4 cylinder groups of 0.35MB, 90 blks, 160 inodes.
super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at:
   32,  752, 1472, 2192,
% sudo mount /dev/fd0a /mnt

Isn't it OK?

Oh, I forgot to mention that I don't need to add "floppy3" to disktab file as well.

It didn't clear to me about handling floppy drive under NetBSD/i386 even if I read
NetBSD guide, so I asked you experts.

Thank you.

---
Shigeki UNO