Subject: PHP and Apache 2
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/30/2005 21:28:40
Just exploring some options now that I have PostgreSQL.

Read up on a nifty thing called phpPgAdmin which seems
quite the thing to have. And there is a package for it
even.

But on install, I get this message...

<snip>
Your Apache server must also be configured to support PHP, and PHP
must be configured to support PostgreSQL by including this in php.ini:

extension=pgsql.so
</snip>

...which sent me exploring. But all I find that seems relevent
in pkgsrc is this...

www/ap2-suphp-0.6.0

...since I am running Apache 2. And reading the DESCR of
that seems to ring security alarms about PHP in general.

I'm a Perl guy, myself, and don't know squat abut PHP. So
my questions are...

1. Does PHP work with Apache 2 on NetBSD?
2. If so how to install, configure, etc. Where
    are the docs?
3. Is PHP safe and recommended?
4. Is phpPgAdmin really cool enough to be worth
    the trouble of going through the above?

Thanks,

Gan Starling
Kalamazoo MI