Subject: Re: Nokia as GPRS modem
To: Brad du Plessis <bradd@cat.co.za>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/27/2005 18:23:51
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:27:29 +0200
"Brad du Plessis" <bradd@cat.co.za> wrote:

> >> Most do.
> >
> > exactly. GPRS phones work with an extended version of the AT command set.
>
> I've tried both a 5140 and a 6100 and neither phone seems to respond to AT
> commands (confirmed in minicom). It seems as though the cable itself
> contains the USB-serial device and it gets detected as a USB - serial
> controller all on its own (without plugging the other end of the cable into
> the phone), maybe this is the problem.
>
> Brad

Yes, older nokia series 40 phones use a cable with a usb to serial frob built
into the cable. I've used the data cables from smith micro since they seem
to have uplcom compatible hw. As I understand it the nokia dku-5 cable for older
series 40 nokias doesn't work with netbsd - perhaps that has changed since I last
looked into this question.

Perry Metzger's suggestion is a good one. A simpler but much less instructive
thing to try is if you are using a windows pc, there is a connection log
which includes the AT strings used to set up the phone that gets created
"somewhere" under the SYSTEM folder each time you make a connection -
or at least I think there is - it's been a while.

Try using cu to send a few AT commands, innstead of using minicom.
cu is very, very simple, so there isn't much that can go wrong.

cu -s 9600 -l /dev/ttyU0

If you are using the right device, and your cable is compatible, you should at
least get garbage back. Try power-cyling your phone after connecting it, but
before running cu.

If that doesn't work, then something basic is wrong and you should definately take
Perry's advice.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing