Subject: Re: Nokia as GPRS modem
To: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@NetBSD.org>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/27/2005 01:33:55
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:45:00 +0300
"Mike M. Volokhov" <mishka@NetBSD.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:31:53 -0700
> Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:28:40 -0400

> > > Most do.
> >
> > exactly. GPRS phones work with an extended version of the AT command set.
> [snip]
>
> JFYI, I use Siemens M55 (not a Nokia tough) as an GPRS modem, connected
> via uplcom(4). Works very well (but GPRS in my area sucks itself).
>
> --
> Mishka.

For a while there, I tried a few phones trying to get a working mobile network.
Motorola and Sony Erricson also support using the phone like an AT modem on their
data capable, GPRS phones. As I recall, although it has been a while since I
read about this, there are a few ways which a GPRS device can supply connectivity,
but on every device I've tried, only the AT modem interface the phone presents
seems to be available on tethered phones.

As bad as GPRS is, it is far better than no connection at all. Class 10 gprs is
ok, but if the cellular network in your area is busy, then you'll almost
never get the 57Kbs you were hoping for.

EDGE is better, although the latency is the same. UMTS/WCDMA is better yet,
plus it has fairly low latency. I haven't tested 1xRTT or EV-D[O,V] so I can't
comment on those.

As you may have guessed, I've tried way too many phones.

I should have mentioned this earlier to this threads originator,
but there is a document on the  netbsd.org website describing how to
use pppd, etc... with a phone or data card.

 http://netbsd.org/Documentation/network/gprs.html

Harry Waddell