Subject: Re: Nokia as GPRS modem
To: Brad du Plessis <bradd@cat.co.za>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/26/2005 09:28:40
"Brad du Plessis" <bradd@cat.co.za> writes:
> Obviously, a cell phone won't respond to AT commands like a modem, but

Most do.

My EVDO card pretends to be a USB controller with a USB serial device
attached to it, just so it can pretend to be a modem and take AT
commands.

Once we taught the telephants the idea of "Serial + AT commands", they
never were able to learn anything else. Not enough room for two
thoughts at once I guess.

In many cases, though, you have to use "special" phone numbers
and PPP authenticators to get on line. I suggest using a USB tap
program to watch the interactions your device has with Windows to
learn exactly what it does to get onto GPRS.

Perry