Subject: Nokia as GPRS modem
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Brad du Plessis <bradd@cat.co.za>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/26/2005 12:46:17
Hi all,

I've got a Nokia 5140 with a USB data cable that I'm wanting to use on my
NetBSD 2.0 system as a GPRS modem. On plugging in the USB cable I see
printouts that a ucom device has been attached, possibly indicating that
some device in the cable (or phone) is a USB-serial converter.

Obviously, a cell phone won't respond to AT commands like a modem, but is
there any other means by which I could connect to the internet via this
phone. Perhaps some sort of package that could communicate with the cell
phone via the ucom driver to negotiate the dial-up and then allow pppd to
take over?

Thanks in advance!
 Brad