Subject: Re: ntp is very slow to be operational
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thierry Lacoste <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/25/2005 12:43:01
On Monday 24 October 2005 20:52, Thierry Lacoste wrote:
> > >I also noticed that I have regular kernel messages concerning ntpd:
> > >frequency error 512 PPM exceeds tolerance 500 PPM
> > >
> > >Does it indicate a hardware problem?
> >
> > No, but our current timekeeping code has issues. There are multiple PR's
> > about this. We are working on this... Keep tuned to tech-kern :-)
>
> I'm currently testing it at home with the same configuration:
> 2.0 on Sparc Ultra1 with the default ntp.conf
> AFAICS ntpd works fine with no frequency errors.
Sorry, I didn't wait enough:
Oct 25 12:29:47 vega ntpd[277]: frequency error 512 PPM exceeds tolerance 500
PPM

Is it safe to use this machine as the time server in a production environment?
I use kerberos so I need the machines to be in sync with one another;
not necessarily with the outer world.

Regards,
Thierry.