Subject: Re: NetBSD binary packages
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Witzmann <stephane.witzmann@gmail.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/21/2005 19:35:52
On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 08:32:24PM +0200, Stéphane Witzmann wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am experiencing problems with the binary packages on i386. I am running
> NetBSD 2.0.2 but went back to a 2.0 kernel since there are no binary
> packages for 2.0.2 (and pkg_add fails like "OS version mismatch" when
> trying to install a package compiled for 2.0).

No it doesn't fail, it's just a warning. The package is installed properly.
2.0 packages are binary-compatible with 2.0.2, that's why there's build
on 2.0 (2.0.2 binaries may not be compatible with 2.0)

> So I would like to know why there are missing binary packages. I already had
> that problem in the past, I thought it was because the vulnerable packages
> were deleted. This time, I also checked the vulnerable subdir, and could
> not find xorg, kdebase, and openoffice (this is not exhaustive, just what I
> wanted to install first).

Looks like the build failed for some reason. I don't have a log for this
build so I can't check. A new build is running, but it will probably
take a few days to complete.

> However binary-installing kdelibs worked, but kdebase failed to compile and
> asked me to remove kdelibs, which I did. Now, it fails like "cannot find
> kde-config".

"make clean"
But this is probably because you used pkgsr-current, not the pkgsrc-2005Q3
branch.

> There is something I don't understand. I can install and setup a desktop
> FreeBSD or Slackware box in a few hours. Setting up a NetBSD box takes
> days (and fast internet access) if you have to compile all the stuff you
> need. Is NetBSD not targeted at all to "binary-only" users ?

It is probably less than others systems. We're doing our best to provide
binary packages, but a full pkgsrc build takes several *weeks*.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>