Subject: Re: History & file names completion
To: Vittorio <vdemart1@tin.it>
From: Courtney R. Spencer <cspencer@mindspring.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/13/2005 11:37:30
On Thu Oct 13, 2005 at 12:09:05PM +0100, Vittorio wrote:
> Having some experience with FreeBSD I'm puzzled by the fact that under
> my newly installed NetBSD 2.0.2 as root csh doesn't complete the
> filenames and, worst of all, doesn't show the history (I mean the up &
> down arrows do not show the previous or successive command I issued).
> How can I set this straight?
> Ciao
> Vittorio

FreeBSD 'csh' is really the extended 'tcsh'.  Since, on most systems,
csh is usually compatible to the 'real' csh I learned to make do by
using

set filec
set history=200

in my .cshrc.  You don't <Tab>complete filenames, but rather
<Esc>complete them.  There is no emacs line editing, so ! command
becomes very useful.

I found that on different systems your standard sh (bash in linux),
ksh (at&t or pkdsh) can and will behave differently. Using the core
csh functionality usually results in the expected behavior.

To have the same exact behavior as you had in FreeBSD, you would
need to install pkgsrc/shells/tcsh

--
Courtney R. Spencer