Subject: Re: xpkgwedge and Solaris (how do I turn it off?)
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Luke Ravitch <ravitch@nrtc.northrop.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/12/2005 09:33:40
On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 03:39:40PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Luke Ravitch wrote:
>
> >   1. Convince xpm (and *all* other X packages) not to require xpkgwedge
>
> You should be able to turn it off with:
> USE_XPKGWEDGE=NO  in your mk.conf.

This was the ticket, but I also had to manually delete host.def from the
$LOCALBASE/lib/X11/config directory.  It was a bit odd, in that the xpm
pkg required xpkgwedge as long as that host.def was there, though it didn't
seem to actually be using it when it tried to build (but something in the
host.def file was choking the system's imake).  When I got rid of the file,
xpm no longer wanted xpkgwedge at all.

> >   2. Convince pkgsrc to use the built-in libxpm instead of depending on
> >      the pkg version.  (This might not be a sufficiently general solution,
> >      but it should at least get me Emacs.)
>
> Try setting in your mk.conf:
>
> PREFER.xpm=native

This didn't seem to make a difference - the Emacs pkg still wanted to build
the pkgsrc version of xpm (but at least that worked now! :-)

> >   3. Get xpkgwedge working on Slowaris.
>
> I am unfamiliar with the xpkgwedge problems you see on Solaris. (You
> didn't specifically show the problem.) I have used pkgsrc on Solaris to
> build many X related packages, but not for several months.

The same problem described in bug 16411:

    http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=16411

(At install time, it tries to make a symlink to the library in
$LOCALBASE/lib, which fails because it's not there - it's in
/usr/openwin/lib.  I don't have Forte, so I don't see that part of the
problem mentioned in the PR.)

Are you aware of any resolution to the bug other than "Solaris has a
broken X"?  (Not that it doesn't.)

Thanks for your help!

--
Luke