Subject: Re: xpkgwedge and Solaris (how do I turn it off?)
To: Luke Ravitch <ravitch@nrtc.northrop.com>
From: Urban Boquist <urban@boquist.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/12/2005 08:43:19
>>>>> Luke Ravitch writes:

Luke> (BTW, whoever made pkgsrc work on Solaris is my hero!)

I second that!

Luke> From googling, I understand that Solaris does not play nicely
Luke> with xpkgwedge.

Hmmm, that is strange.

I have used pkgsrc for a long time on Solaris 8 and I can't recall
ever having any problems with xpkgwedge. Right now I have both
xpkgwedge, xpm and emacs installed, all built from pkgsrc without
problems.

FWIW I use the SunPro compiler. Tried once with GCC but did not get
very far.

Best regards,

        -- Urban

Luke> The xpkgwedge functionality would be really nice, but I can live
Luke> with install X apps into the system X tree (/usr/openwin).  My
Luke> problem is that graphics/xpm (which is required for emacs)
Luke> depends on xpkgwedge (which, of course, doesn't work so the xpm
Luke> install chokes).

Luke> How can I get past this?  I see a few possiblities:

Luke> 1. Convince xpm (and *all* other X packages) not to require
Luke>        xpkgwedge

Luke> 2. Convince pkgsrc to use the built-in libxpm instead of
Luke>        depending on the pkg version.  (This might not be a
Luke>        sufficiently general solution, but it should at least get
Luke>        me Emacs.)

Luke> 3. Get xpkgwedge working on Slowaris.

Luke> Does anybody know how to do one of these (or something better)?
Luke> TIA!

Luke> -- Luke