Subject: xpkgwedge and Solaris (how do I turn it off?)
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Luke Ravitch <ravitch@nrtc.northrop.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/11/2005 14:14:17
I am using pkgsrc on Solaris 9 (Sparc).  (BTW, whoever made pkgsrc work
on Solaris is my hero!)  From googling, I understand that Solaris does
not play nicely with xpkgwedge.  The xpkgwedge functionality would be
really nice, but I can live with install X apps into the system X tree
(/usr/openwin).  My problem is that graphics/xpm (which is required for
emacs) depends on xpkgwedge (which, of course, doesn't work so the xpm
install chokes).

How can I get past this?  I see a few possiblities:

    1. Convince xpm (and *all* other X packages) not to require xpkgwedge

    2. Convince pkgsrc to use the built-in libxpm instead of depending on
       the pkg version.  (This might not be a sufficiently general solution,
       but it should at least get me Emacs.)

    3. Get xpkgwedge working on Slowaris.

Does anybody know how to do one of these (or something better)?  TIA!

--
Luke