Subject: Re: Sparcstaion 5 and netbsd
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Mehul N. Sanghvi <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/31/2005 16:46:48
Hubert Feyrer said the following on 8/31/2005 4:04 PM:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Mike Sodos wrote:
>
>> I have read the INSTALL. many times. It has not helped. I believe it
>> is a SPRC issue.
>> When this machine has Solaris 2.6 on it, it booted perfectly. Somehow
>> I nned to tell it where the NETBSD boot is located and I do not know how.
>

> IIRC that file does have some comments on changes you need to make in OFW.
>

>  - Hubert

Mike,

    Boot up the system, and while it is doing its startup diagnostics,
press L1-A (aka STOP-A). At the "ok> " prompt, do the following:

     ok  printenv boot-device

Make sure that it matches up to where you installed NetBSD.  If it does
not, then

     ok  setenv boot-device disk0 /* or whatever the device
                                     is in your case. */

In the above example it is assumed that the first partition on the
disk that you are trying to boot from is the / partition.  If that
is not the case then you can specify the partition as follows:

       disk0:a   or disk0:d

Note that it should never be disk0:c.

Also, you will need to tell OpenBoot what file you want to boot, so you
will also need to do the following:

      ok  setenv boot-file netbsd

Do a printenv on it first to see what it is.  I think by default it will
be vmunix.

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0/sparc/INSTALL.html#Running%20the%20installation%20scripts

cheers,

     mehul
--
Mehul N. Sanghvi