Subject: Re: utmp_update: /dev/ttyp7: Is not owned by you
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/30/2005 04:36:27
On Aug 29,  5:29am, reed@reedmedia.net ("Jeremy C. Reed") wrote:

| I was thinking that the man page could explain what this message means. I
| didn't know it could be a "security" issue as I thought it was just some
| informative warning.

I think that the message is quite clear; it tells you that it will not
add a utmp record for you, because the tty you requested to add the record
to is not owned by you. Do you have some text to suggest to add to the
man page? Again, this problem is just an indication that something is wrong.
The bigger problem is with xterm not giving any indication that something
is wrong when it fails to chown the pty!

christos