Subject: Re: utmp_update: /dev/ttyp7: Is not owned by you
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@astron.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/29/2005 05:29:59
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005, Christos Zoulas wrote:

>> Where is this documented?
>
> Your xterm is compiled in a way that it does not use openpty() or /dev/ptm,
> so unless it is installed setuid root (*), it will not be able to chown the pty,
> and this is a security problem. Utmp_update is just warning you that something
> is wrong. What kind of documentation do you have in mind?

I was thinking that the man page could explain what this message means. I
didn't know it could be a "security" issue as I thought it was just some
informative warning.

Thanks for the info; I will attempt to look at the xterm source about
this.

> (*) Of course making the xterm setuid root will not solve your security
> problem.

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
 	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/