Subject: Re: NBSD installation
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/28/2005 09:58:01
On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 10:06:47PM -0700, Jerry VanBrimmer wrote:
> > If you need to boot from one of the extended partitions you typically
> > have multiple OS installed, and some form of boot-select program in use.
> > Whether a partition is marked 'active' is then usually totally irrelevant.
>
> So, can I go ahead and install netbsd into the extended partition hdb11 and
> use LILO to boot it? I currently have Win2K and Slackware installed on
> hda, and LILO installed in the mbr of hda.

Should work - provided you can configure LILO to read the pbr of an
extended partition.

> > The netbsd bootselect code resides entirely within its allocated space,
> > so can (ok should) be able to boot (the pbr code) for any partition
> > on the disk, even if you reinstall the netbsd area.
> > (this is the main reason its UI is so terse)
>
> So, should I install the netbsd boot code into the mbr of hdb?

If you use the netbsd bootcode then you can use it to select between
multiple NetBSD partitions - otherwise the NetBSD pbr code will always boot
the first NetBSD (type 169) mbr partition it finds.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk