Subject: Can't log in, pam problems?
To: NetBSD, Help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/26/2005 16:08:25
I just set up an hp700 box as a diskless machine, and I think I
followed the diskless instructions OK (I've set up many diskless
machines).

I unpacked the base.tgz, etc.tgz and kern-GENERIC.tgz sets into the
root, that's it.

It boots OK and when I try to log in, I see this:

NetBSD/hp700 (hp700) (console)

login: root
login: pam_start failed
Oct 22 12:48:50 hp700 login: in openpam_load_module(): no pam_self.so found
Oct 22 12:48:50 hp700 login: pam_start failed: system error

It seems that this pam_self.so file does not exist. Am I missing something?

The sets I used were here:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-3/200508120000Z/hp700/b=
inary/sets/

If it's not something that I did wrong, it might be something that
should be mentioned somewhere about how to fix. I searched and found
hits mostly on other operating systems or people specifically trying
to use pam. I'm not trying to use it.

Andy