Subject: mt tape erase issue
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: jesus garcia <jesus@garrityprinting.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/25/2005 15:04:59
Hi,
I just installed NetBSD 2.2 on a server that provides basic file
services for macintoshes....love netBSD, love it too much,
everythign is perfect on it but have one problem..sorry for this but is
the first netBSD server I setup with this tape drive.

my problem:
--------------------
1)mt /dev/st0 erase
hangs on erase and returns an I/O error

2) don't think i get reliable backups using mt

setup:
-------------------
Seagate DDS-4 4mm SCSI Tape drive on Adaptec 2940UW..no SCSI problems,
card is fine, tape drive is fine

temporary solution:

wrote a script to do backups using tar (good backups here), but can't
seem to find a way to erase using tar on netbsd, so i think i need mt

Is there anything specific I need to do to the DDS-4 to make it
available for erases in 'mt'?, is there anything on 'mt' i need to do?
need some guidance on how to properly set this up for netBSD backups

thanks
jesus garcia