Subject: Re: termcap problem
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/22/2005 09:50:00
> when I log in as root on the console, my systems says:
>
> Welcome to NetBSD!
>
> Terminal type is vt100.
>
> In fact, /etc/ttys tells me that console is set to vt100.
> But when I press Function Key F1 it prints: ^[[11~
> which is referred to /usr/share/misc/termcap Terminal
> Type wsvt25.
> When I change the entries in /etc/ttys to another Terminal Type
> like cons25, it has no effect, except that the greeting is correct and $TERM
> shows correct entries but the
> Terminal Type still remains wsvt25, (F1). Editing termcap itself has no
> effect neither ~/.termcap.

I'm a little confused as to the result you want.  You should set the terminal
type to wsvt25 for the wscons virtual terminals (ttyE?) in /etc/ttys if you
are using wscons (unless your kernel is compiled with WSEMUL_SUN).  Changing
the termcap entries chnages the capabilities as seen by curses/termcap-using
programs, not the way the terminals work.

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/