Subject: Re: NBSD installation
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/21/2005 19:23:07
On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 04:53:08PM -0700, Jerry VanBrimmer wrote:
> I've read the Guide and found that NetBSD has to be installed into a
> Primary partition,

That is no longer true, the NetBSD bootselect code is able to scan the
extended partition chain [1] [2].

> but I can't find whether that partition has to be
> on ide0. Can NBSD be installed into a primary partition on ide1? That
> is, the second hard drive on ide port 0.

You can install onto any disk that the BIOS knows of.
However you need boot code on disk zero that is able to read either
the mbr or pbr boot code from the other disk.

	David

[1] Only the text for the menu entries for the bootable extended partitions
    is held outside of sector 0.
[2] Using fdisk from any other OS might delete the menu entries for
    extended partitions.

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk