Subject: Re: login failure with 2 kernel
To: A L Meyers <spamnjet@yahoo.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/20/2005 22:45:43
On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 10:38:48PM +0200, A L Meyers wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 09:18:59 -0700, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
>
> > A. L. Meyers wrote:
> >
> >>Hello.  Was able to compile and install GENERIC.MP kernel from
> >>latest 2 sources fine, but cannot log in.  System boots, loads the
> >>kernel etc. and ends with a login prompt, accepts user name and
> >>password but simple returns to a new login prompt.  Must reboot
> >>old kernel to use system.
> >>

> > Can you give some more details of your setup?  What port are you using?
> > (i386? macppc? sparc64?) When you say the "latest 2 sources," do you
> > mean sources on the netbsd-2 branch (ie, what will become 2.1), or
> > sources on the netbsd-2-0 branch (what will become 2.0.3)?
> >
> > What version is the system running before trying the new kernel?  A
> > binary release from netbsd.org, or something you built yourself?  netbsd
> > 2.0, 2.0.2, or what?   What was the exact procedure you used to upgrade
> > (I think I understand this, but want to be sure).
> >
> > The more information we have, the better chance we'll have to figure out
> > what's going wrong.
> >
> > +j
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Here is the output of "uname -a":
>
> NetBSD mc1.DATABAAR.CH 2.99.16 NetBSD 2.99.16 (GENERIC.MP) #0:

ha, then you are, in fact, downgrading. 2.99.16 was current *after* the
netbsd-2 branch was cut (this is what the 99 means: 2.99 is highter than
any 2.0.x and 2.x releases). My guess is that your netbsd-2 kernel is
missing some system calls or devices (maybe /dev/pts) used by your
2.99.16 userland.

> Fri Feb 18 01:51:22 CET 2005
> bouyer@pop.lip6.fr:/local/pop1/bouyer/tmp/i386/obj/local/
> pop1/bouyer/current-clean/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC.MP
> i386
>
> I upgraded the sources to the netbsd-2 branch.  Then I compiled a kernel
> using the standard procedure and the GENERIC.MP file.  It booted without
> any problem but subsequently I could not log in as described above.  Have
> build a new system as well but have not yet installed it.

In your case, as you're downgrading, the procedure would be to first install
the userland, and then the new kenrel.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>