Subject: Re: login failure with 2 kernel
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: A L Meyers <spamnjet@yahoo.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/20/2005 22:38:48
On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 09:18:59 -0700, Jeff Rizzo wrote:

> A. L. Meyers wrote:
>
>>Hello.  Was able to compile and install GENERIC.MP kernel from
>>latest 2 sources fine, but cannot log in.  System boots, loads the
>>kernel etc. and ends with a login prompt, accepts user name and
>>password but simple returns to a new login prompt.  Must reboot
>>old kernel to use system.
>>

> Can you give some more details of your setup?  What port are you using?
> (i386? macppc? sparc64?) When you say the "latest 2 sources," do you
> mean sources on the netbsd-2 branch (ie, what will become 2.1), or
> sources on the netbsd-2-0 branch (what will become 2.0.3)?
>
> What version is the system running before trying the new kernel?  A
> binary release from netbsd.org, or something you built yourself?  netbsd
> 2.0, 2.0.2, or what?   What was the exact procedure you used to upgrade
> (I think I understand this, but want to be sure).
>
> The more information we have, the better chance we'll have to figure out
> what's going wrong.
>
> +j
Thanks for the help.

Here is the output of "uname -a":

NetBSD mc1.DATABAAR.CH 2.99.16 NetBSD 2.99.16 (GENERIC.MP) #0:
Fri Feb 18 01:51:22 CET 2005
bouyer@pop.lip6.fr:/local/pop1/bouyer/tmp/i386/obj/local/
pop1/bouyer/current-clean/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC.MP
i386

I upgraded the sources to the netbsd-2 branch.  Then I compiled a kernel
using the standard procedure and the GENERIC.MP file.  It booted without
any problem but subsequently I could not log in as described above.  Have
build a new system as well but have not yet installed it.

Shall be happy to provide any other information requested.

Regards,

lux