Subject: Re: login failure with 2 kernel
To: None <spamnjet@yahoo.de>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/20/2005 09:18:59
--------------enig844D507D77703CD04143BFEE

A. L. Meyers wrote:

>Hello.  Was able to compile and install GENERIC.SMP kernel from
>latest 2 sources fine, but cannot log in.  System boots, loads the
>kernel etc. and ends with a login prompt, accepts user name and
>password but simple returns to a new login prompt.  Must reboot
>old kernel to use system.

Can you give some more details of your setup?  What port are you using?
(i386? macppc? sparc64?) When you say the "latest 2 sources," do you
mean sources on the netbsd-2 branch (ie, what will become 2.1), or
sources on the netbsd-2-0 branch (what will become 2.0.3)?

What version is the system running before trying the new kernel?  A
binary release from netbsd.org, or something you built yourself?  netbsd
2.0, 2.0.2, or what?   What was the exact procedure you used to upgrade
(I think I understand this, but want to be sure).

The more information we have, the better chance we'll have to figure out
what's going wrong.

+j