Subject: Updating pkgsrc on NetBSD 1.6 (aargh matey)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Ravengate <isaac@ravengate.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/17/2005 19:00:33
Hello,

i have tried to make sense of the FAQs, HOWTOs, and various things i have
found via the all powerful google but to no avail.

(doing this on a 486DX sucks too because everytime i get it wrong it takes
forever to rm -rf, repeat untar, etc)

anyhow,

my netbsd 1.6 system has been a rock as far as its firewall duties go.  i
decided, hey it would be neat to update /usr/pkgsrc

so following the tutorial on the netbsd webpage
(http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-pack.html#chap-pack-install)

i do:

rm -rf /usr/pkgsrc

ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/.

did that, untarred tar ball, etc.  nothing would build.  wget, etc.  (this
must be because it is current? - i wish the help file would be more verbose
on this kind of stuff)

so then i downloaded the tarball of pkgsrc.tgz from
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/source/sets/

untar, watch tv, blah, blah and none of the pkgsrc works out of there
either.

can someone please tell me where to get a working pkgsrc for 1.6?  and then
after i build a few packages the best way to update pkgsrc 1.6 so that stuff
works right?

thank you,
jg