Subject: Re: Using a USB to RS-232 adapter
To: NetBSD, Help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2005.salmi.ch>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/16/2005 15:04:25
Andy Ruhl --> netbsd-help (2005-08-16 05:52:51 -0700):
> Ok, sorry for the very newbie question here, but I'm not figuring this out.
>
> I bought a USB to RS-232 adapter for my hpcmips based machine so I can
> use it to connect via the serial line to other machines. Here's what
> the serial line looks like:
>
> uftdi0: FTDI usb serial converter, rev 1.10/4.00, addr 2
> ucom0 at uftdi0 portno 1: portno 1
>
> I dont' have a heck of a lot of experience using serial communications
> in say, the last 10 years or so (before then it was at school and I
> don't remember much). I can make minicom work usually, but I've never
> used cu or tip in any meaningful way.
>
> What I need to know is what tty do I use to connect to the other end?
> More importantly, how do I figure this out on my own?

Quoting ucom(4):

	FILES
	     /dev/ttyU?

> The other end is a NetBSD 2.0.2 machine that is listening like this:
>
> tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on  secure
>
> I have a windows machine that I use hypterterminal to attach to this
> and it works fine.
>
> So my goal is to connect from my hpcmips machine with this USB serial
> adapter to the machine with the above setting in /etc/ttys.

I use tip(1) for such tasks. To do so, just add some lines like the
following to /etc/remote:

	ucom0:dv=/dev/ttyU0:br#9600:pa=none:dc:
	ucom1:dv=/dev/ttyU1:br#9600:pa=none:dc:

Now you can use tip(1) to connect to the remote system like this:

	$ tip ucom0

HTH, Jukka

--
bashian roulette: