Subject: Using a USB to RS-232 adapter
To: NetBSD, Help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/16/2005 05:52:51
Ok, sorry for the very newbie question here, but I'm not figuring this out.

I bought a USB to RS-232 adapter for my hpcmips based machine so I can
use it to connect via the serial line to other machines. Here's what
the serial line looks like:

uftdi0: FTDI usb serial converter, rev 1.10/4.00, addr 2
ucom0 at uftdi0 portno 1: portno 1

I dont' have a heck of a lot of experience using serial communications
in say, the last 10 years or so (before then it was at school and I
don't remember much). I can make minicom work usually, but I've never
used cu or tip in any meaningful way.

What I need to know is what tty do I use to connect to the other end?
More importantly, how do I figure this out on my own?

The other end is a NetBSD 2.0.2 machine that is listening like this:

tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on  secure

I have a windows machine that I use hypterterminal to attach to this
and it works fine.

So my goal is to connect from my hpcmips machine with this USB serial
adapter to the machine with the above setting in /etc/ttys.

Thanks!

Andy