Subject: "pinning" USB storage devices ?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@atlas.ipv6.stack.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/15/2005 14:47:30
Hello.

Is it possible to have an USB mass storage device get an assigned bus number?
I have an external USB disk, which I use for storage, and I'd like it to be
umass0, no matter what.

If I reboot the machine with another usb key plugged in, it *sometimes* becomes
umass0 instead, but I haven't found a lot of logic in that.

The USB disk is connected to one of the ports on the USB controller - uhub2 .
I would've thought that it would get precedence over an usb flash drive connected
to the external USB2 hub (uhub5), but this appears not to be the case. This is
very inconvenient, since it makes the thumb drive sda1, while the USB harddisk
(which is normally sda1) suddenly becomes sda2, breaking a whole lot of things.
Including a system dropping to single user, since it fails to mount filesystems
from /etc/fstab.

What I really want is a hard-wired autoconf entry, something in the line of

'
umass0 at uhub2 port 5 configuration 1 interface 0
umass* at uhub? port ? configuration ? interface ?
'

but that fails, because 'uhub2 is orphaned'.

Any suggestions?