Subject: Re: sip0: unable to map device registers
To: None <rkfrancis1@adelphia.net>
From: George Abdelmalik <gabdelmalik@avdat.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/15/2005 16:19:10
On Monday 15 August 2005 00:53, Robert Ken Francis wrote:
> Hello,
> I installed NetBSD 2.0.2 I get the following when it tries to find my
> built-in network card:
>
> ehci0 at pci0 dev 3 function 3: Silicon Integrated System 7002 USB 2.0 host
> controller (rev. 0x00) ehci0: can't map memory space
> sip0 at pci0 dev 4 function 0: SiS 900 10/100 Ethernet, rev 0x91
> sip0: unable to map device registers
You need to compile a kernel with BIOS fix up options enabled. The relavent
lines in my sys/arch/i386/conf/GENERIC look like:

# Configure PCI using BIOS information
options         PCIBIOS                 # PCI BIOS support
options         PCIBIOSVERBOSE          # PCI BIOS verbose info
options         PCIBIOS_ADDR_FIXUP      # fixup PCI I/O addresses
options         PCIBIOS_BUS_FIXUP       # fixup PCI bus numbering
options         PCIBIOS_INTR_FIXUP      # fixup PCI interrupt routing
options         PCIBIOS_IRQS_HINT=0x0a00 # PCI interrupts hint. IRQ 9 or 11
#options        PCIBIOS_INTR_GUESS      # see pcibios(4)
#options        PCIINTR_DEBUG           # super-verbose PCI interrupt fixup

It would seem that some bioses out there are a bit lazy and do not setup the
pci properly.