Subject: Out-of-date pkg_install in NetBSD-2.0.2?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: pcjul2005 <pcjul2005@caramail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/13/2005 21:01:07
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

--=_NextPart_Lycos_179511701994785_ID

Hello,

I created my own install CD from NetBSD-2.0.2 and another one using the snapshot
found at ftp.de.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-2-0/200508040000Z.
Both installed the base system without any problems.  My trouble started when I
wanted to use pkgsrc.  At the first package install (cd /usr/pkgsrc/... && make),
I got the following message:

Error: The package tools installed on this system are out of date.
The installed package tools are dated 2004/01/15 and you must update
them to at least 2005/02/04 using the following command:

cd /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install && /usr/bin/make clean && /usr/bin/make install

First question: Is this normal?

After building and installing pkg_install-20050607, when I try to build other packages,
certain tool names are undefined (i.e. RM="", FIND="").  I fixed this by copying the
contents of /usr/pkgsrc/mk/tools/tools.NetBSD.mk into my /etc/mk.conf and doing
a search and replace
:%s/TOOLS_PLATFORM.\([a-z]*\)/\U\1
(this makes all lines to be of the sort AWK?= awk, BASENAME?= basename, ...)

As I write this, the computer is happily building clisp, but I have the impression that
my approach was quite heavy-handed.  Trying to wade through the output of make -d A
did not make things clearer to me.

Second question: What should I have done?

Many thanks,
--
Philippe Crama

Protek-on: CaraMail met en oeuvre un nouveau Concept de Sécurité Globale - www.caramail.com