Subject: Cannot install essential commands
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Morio Miki <tw7jx31@myrealbox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/09/2005 01:13:31
Hi,I am BSD newbies and I installed NetBSD/i386 but I notice something
is wrong.
I cannot use essential commands like man,less.

I have two harddisks,hd0(80GB) and hd1(40GB).
I installed WindowsXP,Fedora Linux in hd0.
I installed FreeBSD in hd1.
I multiboot them with GRUB,and I have no problems about them,

and this time,I tried to install NetBSD/i386 in hd1.

like this

start(MB) size(MB)
a: 0 12284 active FreeBSD
b: 12284 5145 NetBSD/i386

in details

start(MB) end(MB) size(MB) FStype
a: 0 255 255 FFSv1 / FreeBSD
b: 256 1253 998 swap FreeBSD
c: 12284 17428 5145 NetBSDpartition
d: 0 38165 38165 Wholedisk
e: 1510 1765 256 FFSv1 /tmp FreeBSD
f: 1766 12283 10517 FFSv1 /usr FreeBSD
g: 12284 13339 1056 FFSv1 / NetBSD
h: 13340 13852 512 swap NetBSD
i: 13853 17428 3576 FFSv1 /usr NetBSD
j: 18361 18425 64 FFSv1 /tmp NetBSD

At the first boot, following errors occured,and cannnot boot NetBSD.

init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyE3 Exec
format error
init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/console Exec
format error

At the second boot,I tried to turn in single user mode like this.

boot netbsd -s

And I can boot netbsd.

I tried to know what's going on,I continue

ls /usr

/usr is empty.
man and less must be in /usr/bin. so I understand why I cannnot use
these commands.
/bin and /sbin and /etc are OK.

I tried to mount NetBSD install CD and extract base.tgz.
but I couldn't because root filesystem is Read-only filesystem.

At the third boot, NetBSD boot automatically in single user mode.
It says

THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY
ffs:/dev/rw1f (/usr)
init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally going to single usermode
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh

I think /usr partition is broken.I still would like to install NetBSD
and enjoy it.
Please give me any advice.