Subject: Re: Disk drivers and data errors
To: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/04/2005 16:09:33
[hmm... I must have been hiding under a rock and missed this post..]

Stephen Borrill writes:
> P.S. When trying to reconstruct a RAID 1 array onto a failed component,
> why should it panic if unable to write:
>
> raid0: initiating in-place reconstruction on column 0
> raid0: Recon write failed!
> panic: raidframe error at line 880 file
> /usr/work/netmanager/netbsd/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/NETMANRAID/../../..
> /../dev/raidframe/rf_reconstruct.c

The original RAIDframe code made the assumption that one would never
try to reconstruct to a disk that has write errors.  In general, that
assumption is fairly true :)

This problem was fixed some months ago... (it is fixed for 3.0 too)

Later...

Greg Oster