Subject: why sshd and "changing logname from" ...?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/04/2005 14:24:26
dmesg reports like:

   sshd (pid 9703) changing logname from reed to reedmedia

And then I log in to pstech and I get another entry:

   sshd (pid 755) changing logname from reedmedia to pstech

I login two more times to pstech, but no more logs.

Then I login into a different account and dmesg has another log:

   sshd (pid 25573) changing logname from pstech to bsdnews

My sshd is started from inetd.

USER PID PPID PGID   SESS JOBC STAT TT    TIME COMMAND
root 439    1  439 c22440    0 IWs  ?? 0:18.62 /usr/sbin/inetd -l

USER  PID PPID PGID   SESS JOBC STAT TT    TIME COMMAND
root 4402  439  439 c22440    0 IW   ?? 0:01.30 sshd: bsdnews [priv

USER      PID PPID PGID   SESS JOBC STAT TT    TIME COMMAND
bsdnews 25573 4402  439 c22440    0 IW   ?? 0:00.02 sshd: bsdnews@ttyp6

Why am I receiving this "changing logname from ... to ..."?

I see the code is from src/sys/kern/kern_prot.c.

How does the sshd process know about the previous login name associated
with different process?

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
 	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/