Subject: Re: ports for ftp
To: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drkilloran@speakeasy.net>
From: theo borm <theo.borm@wur.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/01/2005 00:35:14
Hi,

This is probably not an ftp mirror problem.

FTP is a bit of a nasty protocol - in response to your request
coming from one port, the server tries to open a "data channel"
by connecting to a different port on your PC. A (presumably)
NAT/PAT firewall allowing this must do more than just
"opening" the right ports - it must know about FTP sessions.
How to configure this is very much firewall-dependent.
Most "hardware" firewalls should handle this out of the box
though.

A workaround is the use of passive mode FTP. This is used
(as far as I know) by most (don't know about safari) browsers'
integrated FTP clients.

On a command line FTP client it can be switched on and
off by entering "passive" (as a command).

If this helps you get the files you need, you may want to
check your firewalls' settings.

Hope this helps..

cheers, Theo