Subject: SMP - newbie question?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: John Niven <senseamp@comcast.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/30/2005 14:18:33
Hi,

I'm totally new to this *NIX thing! I have an old Tyan Motherboard with
dual 200MHz Pentium Pro CPU's. I thought this would be a wonderful
learning tool. So I tried loading a copy of Red Hat 8 that I was
donated, but I found this unsatisfying, because it was all too easy to
get going :-) So I downloaded netBSD 2.0 and burnt an ISO disk. I got
my system to install, I've managed to add a user account and got
X-windows working!! I think this is good coming from a Macintosh user
:-)

But how do I know if I'm using both CPU? Did I have to do something
special during the install?

When I boot the system a lot of writing flashes by :-P Looks
informative. How do I slow it down?

I guess I have to tackle installing packages next. Do I need to do
anything different to work with dual CPU?

I went to my local bookshop - found a book on everything except netBSD
:-(

John