Subject: RE: Cabling/controller support
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/28/2005 17:25:09
> Is there any way I can use this drive on the external port ?

Sure, just a matter of the correct adapters.

> This would be the only thing on this SCSI channel, all drives
> are using the other port. I have found this cable, does it look
> like it would do the trick ?

"Ultra320" sounds like it would be "LVD = Low Voltage Differential".
Is your DAT drive Single Ended (SE), differential (now often called
High Voltage Differential HVD), or Low Voltage Differential (LVD)?

LVD will talk to SE or LVD.  But if the drive is HVD you will need
one of:

	a - HVD to SE converter
	b - HVD to LVD converter
	c - HVD host controller card

The cable looks okay, assuming:

	a - the gender of the connectors is correct

	b - it has all 50 wires (some cheap SE cables don't)

	c - Wide-to-narrow cables like this should (and the ones I've seen do)
	    terminate the "wide" part of the bus.  You'll need to
	    make sure it has the correct type of termination for
	    the signaling you will be running through it. (meaning SE, HVD or LVD)

> Is there problems with the Ultra320
> having 16 unit support and the older style SCSI only 8 ?

The number of units addressed is not a problem.  You do need to terminate
the "wide" part of the bus.  And of course the "narrow" part will need
to be terminated as well, probably at the drive.

> It has to be PCI64 since the new server only has these PCI slots.
> The old PCI card cannot be re-used as it is only 32bit.

32 bit PCI cards work in 64 bit PCI slots.
And 64 bit PCI cards are supposed to work in 32 bit PCI slots, assuming
they fit physically (nothing in the way).

If your card is 3 Volt and the slot is 5 Volt (or visa versa) it will not work.
The keying is different.  If the card fits in the slot it should work.

Looks like the easiest solution is to plug your old controller card
into the new machine, assuming it fits. (no 5V vs 3V keying problem)