Subject: Re: MEMORY_DISK_DYNAMIC, mdsetimage -s?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2005.salmi.ch>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/28/2005 19:11:38
Nino Dehne --> netbsd-help (2005-06-28 17:14:59 +0200):
> Hi,
>
> what does the MEMORY_DISK_DYNAMIC option do exactly? options(9) says
>
>      options MEMORY_DISK_DYNAMIC
>      This options makes the md(4) RAM disk size dynamically sized.
>
> which tells me nothing. I had hoped that I could get rid of explicitly
> specifying MEMORY_DISK_ROOT_SIZE, but this doesn't seem to be the case.
>
> Then I thought it works in conjunction with MEMORY_DISK_ROOT_SIZE, so
> that I could reserve 64M, embed a 50M image and the resulting kernel
> would free the excessive 14M upon booting.
>
> In both cases, the kernel seems to reserve only a very small amount of
> space for the ramdisk:
>
> mdsetimage: fs image (45260800 bytes) too big for buffer (91904 bytes)
>
> OK, I thought, maybe _that_ is what mdsetimage -s is for. But it isn't.
>
> Could anyone please tell me what MEMORY_DISK_DYNAMIC and mdsetimage -s
> are for exactly? A booted kernel always seems to use the amount given
> by MEMORY_DISK_ROOT_SIZE, no matter how big the embedded image actually
> was and no matter whether mdsetimage -s was used or not.

Reading the code, it seems as MEMORY_DISK_DYNAMIC is only used on evbarm,
hpcmips and hpcsh ports. However, I'm not sure exactly whatfor.

The `mdsetimage -s' question was asked earlier on tech-embed; maybe [1]this
is the answer to it.

HTH, Jukka

[1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-embed/2005/04/02/0009.html

--