Subject: Re: change root device from raid0 to wd0a
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/18/2005 17:10:24
Greg Oster wrote:
> No.  Each RAID component has its own, private "component label".
> These are not the bootblocks, nor the disklabel.

Ah, thanks.  I think I read that somewhere.  Re-reading the man page,
there are many references to the "component label", enough to infer that's
where the information is kept.

> Yes.  "raidctl -A root raid0" tells RAIDframe to treat raid0 as
> though it were the boot device, and then RAIDframe does some
> Ugly Stuff to override what the kernel thinks was the boot device.

Oy, you can say that again.  That was definitely the biggest surprise.  I
would have thought I'd have to recompile the kernel to change its default
root partition location.

Thanks again for your answer.  I ran "raidctl -A yes raid0" and things now
look copacetic, see below.

--jkl

$  raidctl -s raid0
Components:
           /dev/wd0f: optimal
           /dev/wd1f: optimal
No spares.
Component label for /dev/wd0f:
   Row: 0, Column: 0, Num Rows: 1, Num Columns: 2
   Version: 2, Serial Number: 2005052404, Mod Counter: 272
   Clean: No, Status: 0
   sectPerSU: 128, SUsPerPU: 1, SUsPerRU: 1
   Queue size: 100, blocksize: 512, numBlocks: 163841152
   RAID Level: 1
   Autoconfig: Yes
   Root partition: No
   Last configured as: raid0
Component label for /dev/wd1f:
   Row: 0, Column: 1, Num Rows: 1, Num Columns: 2
   Version: 2, Serial Number: 2005052404, Mod Counter: 272
   Clean: No, Status: 0
   sectPerSU: 128, SUsPerPU: 1, SUsPerRU: 1
   Queue size: 100, blocksize: 512, numBlocks: 163841152
   RAID Level: 1
   Autoconfig: Yes
   Root partition: No
   Last configured as: raid0