Subject: Re: FIX for: Problem with wd driver and Seagate drives
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/18/2005 22:39:10
thus Manuel Bouyer spake:

>>>The problem is that not all controllers support LBA48 (and in addition,
>>>using LBA48 when it's not needed is slower). I know there are systems
>>>using LBA48-capable drives on non-LBA48 controllers here, because we had to
>>>fix the driver to not use LBA48 when not needed for those systems.
>>
>>	Another option would be to force LBA48 for that block only on
>>	drives that support it. If we were starting from scratch that
>>	would probably be the way to go, with a quirk the other way.
>

> You mean LBA (not LBA48) I guess ? Well, all drives but seagate support
> it (the seagate drives are broken, legacy LBA supports addressing sectors
> up to 128GB *inclusive*). And the other way round, the problem is with
> controllers, not drive. And the problem in this case would be much more
> serious (corruption of sector 0, most probably).
>

>>	Actually, it might make sense to make the current quirk for all
>>	seagate	drives...
>

> It looks like not all large seagate drives have this problem, only the 200
> and 250GB versions. There are several 160G versions that don't seem affected.

hi,

i just ran into this issue with a

candid: {3} dmesg | grep ST
wd0 at atabus0 drive 0: <ST3160023A>
wd1 at atabus1 drive 0: <ST3160023A>

Seagate ST3160023A (160GByte, 7.200rpm, 8MByte Cache).

i'll fix it and rebuild 2.0.2-RELEASE (going to be a production machine,
don't want 3.0-BETA here...) and try.

just fyi (that this drive also is affected).

thanks & best regards,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@macfinity.net
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.