Subject: Cannot Build Shared Libraries for PHP 5.0.4
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Kwok Ng <kwokng888@hotmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/18/2005 16:59:04
Hi,

Target Application: PHP-5.0.4

I'm trying to compile php to use shared libraries (i.e. not static) and have
so far been unable to get it to recognise my options.

"...checking whether to build shared libraries... no
checking whether to build static libraries... yes.."

My build environment seems sane - I've managed to build shared libraries for
lighttpd AND static ones for openSSH (thanks to the libtool package)

The options that I used are listed below.  I've experimented with using
explicit definitions such as --enable-shared=yes and just --enabled-shared.
I also tried explicitly defining the host value at compile time, still no
change..

Below I have listed the extra packages I added that were not native to a
standard build.

I originally suspected that a crucial package was not installed, but looking
at the pkgsrc readme's & installing the required build packages, this didn't
appear to be the case.  I also tried to do this with PHP-4.3.X but the same
thing happened.

This was originally posted to tech-level@netbsd.org but it seemed to go
awfully quiet, so perhaps I posted to the wrong mail list or people were too
polite to tell me that I'm asking a stupid question.

I'd appreciate very much any feedback any one can provide regarding this.

Thanks
kwok

NetBSD 1.6.2 Kernel Source CVS/Stable - updated (last week)

sqlite-2.8.16       SQL Database Engine in a C Library
tcl-8.4.8           Ousterhout's Tool Command Language, a scripting language
pcre-5.0nb1         Perl Compatible Regular Expressions library
m4-1.4.2            GNU version of UNIX m4 macro language processor
bison-2.0           GNU yacc(1) replacement
libtool-base-1.5.10nb10 Generic shared library support script (the script
itself)
readline-5.0        GNU library that can recall and edit previous input
gmake-3.80nb4       GNU version of 'make' utility
perl-5.8.6nb3       Practical Extraction and Report Language
autoconf-2.59nb1    Generates automatic source code configuration scripts
automake-1.9.5      GNU Standards-compliant Makefile generator

./configure
--prefix=/../php
--enable-fastcgi
--enable-discard-path
--enable-force-cgi-redirect
--with-config-file-path=/..
--disable-ipv6
--with-openssl=/../openssl
--with-zlib=/..
--without-iconv
--enable-sqlite-utf8
--without-pear
--enable-shared

checking host system type... i386-unknown-netbsdelf1.6.2.
..
..
checking dynamic linker characteristics... NetBSD ld.elf_so
checking whether to build shared libraries... no