Subject: configuring 3.0 kernel fails - what obvious point have I missed?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: theo borm <theo_nbsdhelp@borm.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/15/2005 14:41:43
Dear list members,

I'm having problems building a new kernel. The nature of the
problem makes me suspect I'm missing something obvious.

I checked out sources from the 3.0 branch from a particular date
where according to the releng website /all/ builds succeeded:

cvs checkout -D 20050609-UTC -rnetbsd-3 -P src

a "config GENERIC" in src/arch/i386/conf fails with

../../../../netinet/files.ipfilter:23: syntax error
../../../../net/files.pf:17: syntax error
*** Stop.

looking at the history of these two files, the line

    makeoptions ipfilter CPPFLAGS+="-I$S/dist/ipf"

appeared on oct 1 2004  in src/sys/netinet/files.ipfilter, and the line

    makeoptions pf CPPFLAGS+="-I$S/dist/pf"

has been part of src/sys/net/files.pf since Jun 22 2004 (inception)

Obviously these things work for some people, and have worked for me.
For instance configuring a kernel from sources contained in the 2.0.2
syssrc.tgz tarball works without any problem. Configuring a kernel
from sources contained in the current sys.tar.gz tarball fails with
the same error.

have I missed something obvious?

with kind regards,

Theo Borm