Subject: Re: Problems with USB HID Kernel Options
To: Todd Gruhn <tgruhn2@mail.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/06/2005 11:48:31
"Todd Gruhn" <tgruhn2@mail.com> writes:
> After replacing the contents of /var and /etc this weekend,

Why would you have done that? I just told you to boot GENERIC. What
does /var or /etc have to do with anything?

> GENERIC croaks like so:
>
> set{u,g}id pid 570 (sendmail) was invoked by uid 0 ppid 413 perl with fd 1 closed

That's not a "croak" message. That's totally irrelevant.

By the way, for that message to have been printed, you would have to
have your system totally up and running, so I don't believe you when
you claim to be crashing on boot.

> j55KV2hC000570: Losing ./j55KV2hC000570: savemail panic
>
> j55KV2hC000570:SYSERR(root):savemail: Cannot save rejected email any where

This isn't a kernel panic either. I have no idea what is printing it,
but I think it is just sendmail getting upset. In any case, it is
totally irrelevant.

>              The operating system has halted
>              Please press any key to reboot

I have no idea what is going on here, but I don't believe that you're
telling us what is actually going on. You aren't showing why your
machine is shutting down.

I think the machine is shutting down because you either typed "halt"
or you are running a script that ran "halt". I don't think your system
is crashing. As for why this is happening, my strong suspicion based
on the partial bug reports you are giving is that you are doing
something that you aren't mentioning which is causing this.

Perry