Subject: Re: getting started with torrent
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/26/2005 20:55:23
On Thu, 26 May 2005, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I am getting started with torrent. Currently, I am using ctorrent (from
> pkgsrc).
>
> Can ctorrent be stopped and restarted? Or will it start downloading from
> the beginning again?

 	It should, though I switched from ctorrent because it crashed on
 	some downloads, so now I use bittornado. For bittornado it helps
 	if the filedescriptor limit is raised above 256 if you want to
 	handle multiple simultaneous torrents.

> If it can be restarted to continue same downloads, where does it keep its
> status file?

 	I believe the .torrent file, combined with checking cheksums of
 	the downloaded data on restart.

> Can different torrent clients be used to continue previously started
> torrent downloads?

 	Certainly some clients - in my experience.

> For example, could I stop ctorrent and then restart with using rtorrent?

 	I would expect so.

> (rtorrent is in pkgsrc-wip but is out-of-date.)
>
> I could figure this out myself by trying ... does anyone know of some good
> documentation I can read to learn more about this?

 	If you find some, pass it on :)