Subject: Re: unable to get processes to start from /etc/rc.conf
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Mehul Sanghvi <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/23/2005 17:57:02
On 5/23/05, Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@xtrmntr.org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 05:10:24PM -0400, Mehul Sanghvi wrote:
> > On 5/23/05, Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2005.salmi.ch> wrote:
> > > How did it fail?
> >
> > After rebooting the machine, I kept an eye on things that were getting
> > started.  It never showed apache or postgresql getting started.  I
> > also logged in to the machine and checked by  doing:
> >
> > % ps uaxwwww | egrep -i 'httpd|postmaster'
> >
> > and got nothing.
>=20
> is your /usr a mointpoint?  that won't work, for obvious reasons.
>=20
> the simplest thing to do is set PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS to "yes" in your mk.conf
> and let pkgsrc or pkg_add install your rc scripts into /etc/rc.d/
>=20
>=20
> regards,
>=20

/usr/pkg is a seperate partition.  And I would agree with you that it
shouldn't work,
if the filesystems had not been mounted by the time it got to the point whe=
re it
should be running /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/apache.

Since it works if I put things in /etc/rc.local (/etc/rc.d/local gets
run before the point
where apache and pgsql should start up), I think it might not have
anything to do with
mount points.  I'll try your approach as well, although I would prefer to k=
eep
the rc.d files I install from pkgsrc seperate from the ones that came
with the system,
if possible.

cheers,

    mehul