Subject: Re: unable to get processes to start from /etc/rc.conf
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Mehul Sanghvi <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/23/2005 17:10:24
On 5/23/05, Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2005.salmi.ch> wrote:
>=20
> How did it fail?

After rebooting the machine, I kept an eye on things that were getting star=
ted.
It never showed apache or postgresql getting started.  I also logged
in to the machine
and checked by  doing:

% ps uaxwwww | egrep -i 'httpd|postmaster'

and got nothing.

> It should work:
>=20
> $ ls -l /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
> total 4
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1069 May 23 22:37 apache
> $ rc_rcorder_flags=3D'/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*'
> $ rcorder -s nostart $rc_rcorder_flags /etc/rc.d/*
> [...]
> /etc/rc.d/cron
> /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/apache

Doing the above from the command line works correctly and shows me
/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/apache and /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/pgsql.

I myself fail to see how it can not work from the boot scripts.  Disabling =
XDM
so that I can see what goes on, tells me:

[...]
Mounting all filesystems...
Clearing /tmp.
[...]
Starting cron.
Mon May 23 17:06:03 EDT 2005

And then at that point it hangs. I don't get a login prompt,  That
might be a side-effect
of just disabling XDM from /etc/rc.conf because I used to work from
the console before.
Good thing I have sshd enabled :)

Is there any other way to debug the problem, without having to reboot the
system all the time ?  And some place where
the logs are kept for the boot process ?=20

cheers,

    mehul

--=20
Mehul N. Sanghvi