Subject: disklabel reachable only in single-user
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: rudolf <netbsd@eq.cz>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/23/2005 15:00:12
Hi,

I have a strange problem with disklabel in multi-user:

# disklabel wd0
disklabel: Can't read master boot record 0: Undefined error: 0
disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
# disklabel -r wd0
disklabel: Can't read master boot record 0: Undefined error: 0
disklabel: wd0: Undefined error: 0
# disklabel wd1
disklabel: Can't read master boot record 0: Undefined error: 0
disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
# disklabel -r wd1
disklabel: Can't read master boot record 0: Undefined error: 0
disklabel: wd1: Undefined error: 0

The strange part for me is that when the system is in single-user,
everything works as expected - disklabel is printed fine (on-disk too).

I am trying to install the system to raidframe devices (system initially
on wd0, 4 disks altogether) and now I need to do the final step - change
wd0's disklabel and employ wd0 from system running on raidframe. The
disklabel on wd1 was just recently ok (reachable from multi-user), but
it probably vanished during my resuscitation experiments with wd0. :)

Partition tables (fdisk) seem to be ok, the problem persists reboots.

Thanks for any advice,

r.