Subject: ftp/tcp: bind: Address already in use & transmit underrun; new threshold
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Zak Wer <zakwer_3d@yahoo.es>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/22/2005 10:57:37
Hi all.

I am having a couple of stupid problems that I am sure
are dead simple but I canīt find out...

I have an old i386 with NetBSD 2.0.
I have been using it as an FTP server over ADSL for
several months.
Then I removeded the two old hard disks and plugged in
a new one, installed fresh NetBSD 2.0 with floppys and
FTP, and then I copied the old etc directory on top of
the new one, as it is the same BSD version on the same
hardware, I just edited the parts related to hard
disks to fit the new one (I suspect this must be a
potential cause of problems).

Now I can SSH into the BSD box and do file transfer
that way. The problem is that I canīt FTP into the
server any more, and I need it to acces it over the
web from behind firewalls, etc.

At first I thought this was related to users
permissions problems, but I think I have fixed that.

BTW I am using vsftpd launched from inetd (or so I
think)

My FTP client says:
    SmartFTP v1.1.984.17
    Resolving host name 192.168.1.21...
    Connecting to (192.168.1.21) ->  IP: 192.168.1.21
PORT: 21
    Connected to (192.168.1.21) -> Time = 0ms
    Socket connected waiting for login sequence.
500 OOPS: could not bind listening IPv4 socket
    Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...

And these messages appear on the BSD box every 1o
minutes or so:
May 23 11:41:47 franken inetd[414]: ntalk/udp: bind:
Address already in use
May 23 11:41:47 franken inetd[414]: ftp/tcp: bind:
Address already in use

For what I have digged in the web it seems that
"somehow something" is already using the FTP port, and
the netatalk as well, but I canīt find out where...
Maybe related to this, I installed vsftp with
> pkg_add -v vsftpd
And it got installed in /usr/pkg/libexec, whereas in
my first installation, with the old har disks it used
to be into /usr/sbin
First I edited inetd.conf line to make it:
#ftp            stream  tcp     nowait  root
/usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd -ll
#ftp            stream  tcp6    nowait  root
/usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd -ll
ftp             stream  tcp     nowait  root
/usr/pkg/libexec/vsftpd        vsftpd

But it kept failing, so I copied vsftpd to /usr/sbin
and adjusted inetd.conf... fails the same.

My rc.conf is:

# Add local overrides below
#
rpcbind=yes
mountd=yes
#nfs_server=yes
lockd=yes
statd=yes
hostname=franken #.mine.nu
sshd=YES
#moused=YES     moused_flags="-p /dev/tty00"
#wsmoused=YES
wscons=YES
auto_ifconfig=yes
ifconfig_rtk0="inet 192.168.1.21 netmask 0xffffff00"
ifconfig_rtk1="inet 192.168.1.22 netmask 0xffffff00"
defaultroute=192.168.1.1

(I have two ethernet crads plugged in, but only one
has an ethernet cable connected. This worked with the
old setup.)

Any hint?

Problem # 2, although not so important, is:

Also, when I do big file transfers over SSH, these
messages show up on the console:
May 23 11:43:02 franken /netbsd: rtk0: transmit
underrun; new threshold: 960 bytes
May 23 11:43:44 franken /netbsd: rtk0: transmit
underrun; new threshold: 1024 bytes

I wonder if this is somehow related to the fact that
when my wife tries to use her PowerBook to surf the
web wirelessly, it seems as if the BSD box would block
it when it is actively moving data to/from the web
(and no, they donīt use the same IP)

Renovamos el Correo Yahoo!
Nuevos servicios, más seguridad
http://correo.yahoo.es